Friday, September 24, 2010

THE WILL- FUTURE


THE WILL- FUTURE TENSE

We use the will-future for predictions, assumptions, promises and when we do something spontaneously.

We use the going to-future with planned actions.

Form

will + infinitive(basit mastar hali )

Examples:

Affirmative sentences:

He will play football.
He'll play football.( contracted)
I will be back soon.
I’ll be back soon.(contracted)

Negative sentences:

He will not play football.
He won't play football  or He'll not play football.

Questions:

Will he play football? Yes, he will. (Or No, he won’t.)

 Use of will-future

The will-future is simple future tense. There are other future tenses, like the going to-future, the Present Progressive, the Future Progressive/Continuous and the Simple Present.
We use the will-future:

1) Future actions happen without the speaker's intention (birthday, weather, etc.)

The sun will shine tomorrow.
Tom will be 21 next Tuesday.

2) Predictions, assumptions (I think, I hope, I'm sure, I'm afraid)

I think Sue will arrive in Paris this evening.
I hope you will win the match.
I am sure she will pass in Math.
When there is evidence of some kind , “going to” is used.
Oh Gosh! Black clouds. I think it is going to rain.
She got 3 out of 4 in the final exam. I am sure she is going to pass.

3) Spontaneous actions (not planned)

Hang on! I'll have a word with you.
Come here. I‘ll show you something.
OK. I'll come with you.

4) will-future – Special: Shall/ Shan’t


We sometimes use shall instead of will in the British English in the first person singular and the first person plural.

In spoken (and in written) English more and more will is used in affirmative sentences nowadays.
We frequently use shall in questions as an offer: teklif durumlarında soru şeklinde kullanılabilir: yapayım mı ?

Shall I carry this box?
Shall we... is also an offer and the question form of “Let’s .....”

Shall we dance?/or Let’s dance.

Will is also used for polite requests/offers usually with please:

Will you dance with me, please?
Will you marry me ?
Help me , will you ?
Come here, will you ? ”will you” burada “ne olur/ lutfen” anlamındadır.

We use the will future in written language (especially in newspapers), where in spoken English we often use the going to-future.

spoken:
The headmaster is going to close the old gym.

written:
The headmaster will close the old gym.

Short forms in the will-future

We often use short forms of the auxiliaries. The will-future is formed with the auxiliary will, so short forms are very frequent, contracted WILL(’ll) is not used in short forms.
Example:
-Who will help me?
 - I will.
-Give my regards to your mom .
-I will.

Future Time Expressions


Tomorrow, next ...(week ) soon( in a short time), later ,..

Exercises

Put in the verbs in brackets into the gaps and form sentences. Use the will-future.

Example: The weather ______ nice at the weekend. (to be)

Answer: The weather will be nice at the weekend.

1) Tomorrow it in the north-west. (to rain)
2) My friend 12 next Monday. (to be)
3) Hey John! Wait a minute. I a word with you. (to have)
4) She her boss next week. (not see)
5) I think you this job. (to get)
6) They at about 6 pm. (to arrive)
7) The teacher this exercise. (to explain)
8) He the bottle of water. (to drop)
9) Lots of accidents in that weather. (to happen)
10) She if you show her the spider. (to scream)

    1.will rain  2.will be   3.will have  4.won’t see  5.will get  6.will arrive 7.will explain  8.will drop   9.will happen  10.will scream



No comments:

Post a Comment