Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Idioms and Expressions



Idioms are the most difficult words to remember while learning a foreign language because they don’t have literal meanings, that is to say, the literal meaning of the word is totally different from the idiom, although it is the same word, the meaning changes with a preposition or adverb or another word. It goes without saying that even without an addition of anything the same word has a lot of different meanings in the sentence. I would like to give an example word and show some different meanings of the same word. Let ‘s study “TAKE” together.

Take (took-taken-taking) has a great amount of meanings:

1. To get; use; have(buy/rent); to remove from someone’s possession by stealing or by mistake

I often take a taxi to go to the airport.
She’ll take a shower.
We’ll take the apartment.
Can I take your pen, please?
Someone has taken my bike!!

Take the (bus/train), take a walk, take a seat, take medicine, take a bath

2. To obtain; recieve; accept

I won’t take less than $2000 for my car.
Take the blame,  take one’s advice, take a chance.
3. To get possession of; win :
He took second place in the race.
The city was taken by the enemy.
4.Subtract; remove:
If you take five from twelve, you get seven.
5.To carry from one place to another:
He often takes the kids to school in the car.
6.To need:
It takes a lot of money to buy a car like that.
It took me two hours to drive there.
The trip from Baltimore to Washington takes 55 minutes.

7.To unterstand; think:
I took his smile to mean yes.
Do you take me for a fool?
Idioms or expressions of TAKE
1.To Take (it) for granted:
To accept a fact without questioning if it is true.
I just took it for granted that you knew.
He never thanks me,he just takes me for granted.
2.To take place: happen
The story took place in London.
3.Take aback; to surprise and confuse
I was taken aback by his answer.
4.Take after someone; resemble
She takes after her mother.
5.Take(n) in
Don’t be taken in by his promises.
6.Take (something) out on (somebody):To express feelings by making someone else suffer
You have had a bad day, don’t take it out on me.
7.Take over: To succeed to
Paul will take over the chairman’s job after he leaves.
8. Take up: interest oneself in; begin to do
He has taken up writing and American literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment