Monday, July 12, 2010

Use of the Simple Past Tense



The Simple Past Tense is used for the completed actions in the past:

I went to Baltimore yesterday.
We played golf two days ago.
She saw her childhood friend last Wednesday.
They  gave a party last weekend.
I graduated from high school  a month ago.

It is also used in different ways referring to  present and future for unreal imaginative wishes, regrets, dreams:

PAST REFERRING TO  PRESENT OR FUTURE

I WISH……..did/ were……
I wish you did it.
I wish you came to my party tomorrow.
I wish she spoke English.
I wish she were here with me. (You can use” were” instead of “was”)

Choose the correct verb form:

IT IS A PITY  YOU DON’T KNOW ENG.WELL.
I WISH YOU …………………….ENG. WELL.(knew/know)

I WANT  TO BE HOME NOW. IT IS A PITY I AM NOT HOME.
I WISH  I…………………………HOME NOW.(am/ were)

IF ONLY
It is used like “I wish..”

IF ONLY YOUR MUM WERE ALIVE NOW.
If only you (do) …………..your job  regularly .(do/ did )

IT IS TIME SB DID STH

IT‘S TIME YOU WENT TO BED.( This means  It‘s time to go to bed.)
It’s time they  (study)……..………………..now.(studied/ study )
It’s time she ( sing)…………songs.(sings/ sang )


IF CLAUSES, type 2, Unreal

IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY NOW, I WOULD BUY A MINI.
( I don’t have a lot of  money)

If I (study)………………..hard, I would get  better results.

IF I WERE YOU, I WOULDN’T ACT SO.

If I (be)…………… a PM, I would open new job areas .

 IF IT WEREN’T FOR ….= Without..

IF IT WEREN’T FOR YOUR HELP, I WOULDN’T BE SO SUCCESSFUL.(Without your help, ..)

WOULD RATHER SB DID STH  (prefer)

TOM DRIVES TO WORK EVERY DAY BUT I’D RATHER HE TOOK A BUS INSTEAD.

She wants to buy the black dress but I’d rather she ………………..the red one.(buys/bought)

AS IF /AS THOUGH

WE KNOW THAT HE IS GUILTY, BUT HE ACTS AS IF HE WERE INNOCENT.
You can’t talk to me as if you ………….my dad.(were/are )

Be aware that Lyrics will be a good way of your learning a language.

Here is Pink Floyd' s  song to remind us of “I wish ..”


 
Pink Floyd


 


                         

  


Wish You Were Here

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skys from pain.
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade
Your heros for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

2 comments:

  1. wish you were.. such a great song! I remember the times you showed us this method of learning, its a great way indeed! Not only you understand the lyrical side of the music but also grammatically you can expand your acknowledge. Great job on the blog, keep 'em coming. buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!It is awesome to get some feedback from a student so that you can see something you try to do works or not.Music really contributes a lot to anything in life and if you can let your body and soul go together with the rhythym focusing on the lyrics, you can feel the healing side of it as well. I hope you won't forget "desert rose" either.I'll always remember the "fish bowl" video activity with you.keep in touch!!

    ReplyDelete